Saturday, September 21, 2013

Cooking with my Daughters- Grilled Brie & Apple Sandwich



        My husband retired from his job in May.  Since then I have been hearing those words every wife dreads- “What’s for lunch?”  I usually make an effort with dinner, and breakfast can be exactly the same thing every day, but I am not used to planning lunch.  Can’t he just have some of whatever I am eating?  Unfortunately he isn’t interested in stir fried tofu.  Quinoa tabbouleh doesn’t go over so well either, nor does Greek yogurt with fruit and ground flax seeds.  What about leftovers from last night?  That works, unless last night’s dinner was leftovers.  He could probably eat a salami sandwich every day, but since I don’t approve of processed meats that’s a no-go.  
        So now I am always on the lookout for uncomplicated lunch ideas- soups, salads, sandwiches etc. that my husband will eat and that are not dreadfully unhealthy.  A couple of weeks ago I was visiting my younger daughter in Denver, and one she made grilled brie & apple sandwiches.  I love brie, apples, and the super healthy bread she used.  What a great lunch!  Normally I don’t pay attention to sandwich recipes.  Just  put stuff between two slices of bread; how difficult is that?  But this particular variation is one I had not thought of, and it makes a nice change from my usual grilled cheddar and tomato sandwich.


Here is what you will need to recreate Melissa’s Grilled Brie & Apple Sandwich-

Brie Cheese- sliced fairly thin
Apple- also sliced thin
Ezekiel Bread-  You could use any bread of course, but Ezekiel is the best.  It’s available in the frozen section of your health food or grocery store.
Spread-  I use Olivio; Melissa uses Earth Balance.    


If you have ever made grilled cheese sandwiches I’m sure you can figure out what to do, but here are the directions anyway.

Spread Olivio (or whatever) on one side of two pieces of bread.  Place the slices on a plate with the spread sides together.  
Layer brie, apples and brie on the top slice.









Heat a non-stick pan.

Place the top slice of bread, spread side down, with cheese etc. in the pan.  Place the other slice on top.  
Grill for a few minutes; then carefully flip the sandwich over.  Press down with a spatula and grill for a few more minutes until done.  Flip over again if necessary until both sides are nicely browned and cheese is melted.

Serve with Mavia's beet salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment