Monday, September 16, 2013

My Daughter's Home in Denver




        Last week I was in Denver, Colorado visiting my younger daughter, Melissa/Maya, and her husband.  Their house is also her studio and home base for her ceramics business- Melissa Maya Pottery.  While her older siblings went to law school and business school, my youngest went to art school and yoga teacher training.  She decided that Denver was the place to pursue both these vocations, and it seems to be working out well.  Her pottery has kept her so busy that she has had to cut back on teaching yoga, but she is not complaining.  You can see her ceramics work here on Etsy, and she will be exhibiting at the Denver Raw art show in October.   



        I arrived just a the beginning of Denver’s “rainy season”, also known as “last week”.  Apparently it is almost unheard of to have several days in a row of continuous rain there, but I’m here to tell you that it does happen.  Or you can just watch the news. Fortunately it was not nearly as bad in Denver as it was up in Boulder.  It was just rainy.  Despite the inclement weather, though, we managed to find plenty to do.  
        
        Being women, we can always entertain ourselves with shopping, and in Denver there is no shortage of shopping.  One day we went to the nearest Wild Birds Unlimited, where I got my daughter set up with their APS- Advanced Pole System.  Now she can watch finches, chickadees and blue jays while she works on her pottery. 
Next I took the opportunity to visit one of my favorite quilt shops- Harriet’s Treadle Arts.  I bought more fabric; I couldn’t help it.  And when we really decided to go shopping, we spent a day at the Cherry Creek Mall and surrounding area.    
        Another great rainy day activity was the Molly Brown House Museum.  Some of you may have seen the 1964 movie The Unsinkable Molly Brown, which is a very fictionalized Hollywood version of the life of Margaret Tobin Brown.  During this  interesting house tour we learned that Margaret was never actually called Molly and that she was not related to Debbie Reynolds.  Then we walked around the corner to the Kirkland Museum of Fine and Decorative Art.  This unique museum features “a retrospective of Colorado’s distinguished painter, Vance Kirkland”.   It was not something I would have necessarily done had the weather been better, but it was so fascinating I was actually rather glad about the rain.  
        All week it was great to see my daughter in her own house, and to observe her home-making skills.  Like her older sister in Portland she recycles, composts, and uses all “green” cleaning products.  I used to be happy with my Procter & Gamble detergents and my neon colored sponges, but now I feel rather out of touch.  



        My younger daughter is more into vegetable gardening that flower gardening.  Here she is stirring home-made pesto she has just whipped up in her Ninja, while she sautes freshly picked green beans.  Although I have grown basil and other herbs I have never grown vegetables, so she must have learned vegetable gardening on her own.  That happens.     




  At the end of the week it finally stopped raining.   We went to Red Rocks!
                                 





No comments:

Post a Comment