Wednesday, August 28, 2013

More Pyrex Cinderella

        

        Pyrex Cinderella casserole dishes were introduced by the Corning Glass Works in the 1950’s, not long after Cinderella mixing bowls.  Like the bowls of the same name the casseroles had two pouring spouts/handles, and they were available in many of the same snappy colors and patterns.  Cinderella casseroles came in nesting sets of three: 1 quart, 1 1/2 quart, and 2 1/2 quart, all with glass lids.   
        I bought my first set, Homestead, in the late 70’s, and it lasted for many years.  While my kids were growing up these casseroles were almost always in use.  They were great for baked macaroni & cheese, rice pudding and other custard desserts, and for storing leftovers.  I can’t imagine a kitchen without them.  Unfortunately I misplaced my Homestead casseroles in a move several years ago.   But I have replaced them with the lovely Pink Gooseberry set, pictured above, which I bought at a flea market in upstate New York.  

        When we were purchasing the beautiful Pyrex kitchenware in the seventies and eighties we thought it would be around for ever.  I guess every generation makes the same assumption.  But then one day you turn around and discover that whatever you thought would always be there - is gone.  Maybe it’s no longer in fashion, or it is too expensive to produce, or it doesn’t fit in with “today’s life style”.  Alas, painted Pyrex has succumbed to the usual pressures of time; it has not been made since the 1980’s.  Happily, although it is not available at Macy’s or Bed Bath & Beyond, it is still available and affordable.  Just go to eBay or Etsy and type in Pyrex Cinderella Casserole.    

No comments:

Post a Comment