Thursday, August 22, 2013

Trip to a Quilt Shop & More



Yesterday my friend, Patty, and I drove up to Farmhouse Fabrics in Leechburg, PA.  Located in a circa 1900 farmhouse, this quilt shop is one of our favorite destinations.  Sylvia, the owner, is particularly interested in 19th century reproduction fabrics, and has stocked her shop with a wonderful selection.  Patty and I never have any trouble finding exactly what we are looking for, and then some.  We can spend hours looking at fabric, discussing the colors and patterns with each other and with the shop owner.  Last time we went to Farmhouse we bought different fabrics for the same wall quilt, which we have both finished.  Working on the same project was fun, and a good way to stay motivated.  As we worked we would text each other pictures of our progress.  My quilt is pictured above; here is Patty’s- 


There is something about fabric and sewing that has always been a source of comaraderie for women of all ages.  My sister, Ellen, and I grew up sewing together.  When we were very young we made clothes for our dolls and stuffed animals, and when were were teenagers we started sewing clothes for ourselves.  One summer Mom enrolled us in a sewing class at the local Singer store on Market Street.  There were six girls in the class: my sister & me, Anne & Ellen Woodbury, and Becky & Jane Kellington.   We may have driven the teacher crazy, but we girls had a great time as we worked on our sewing projects together.  
One of the skills we learned was how to alter a pattern.  I had selected a high waisted dress pattern with long, puffed sleeves, which I was making out of a lovely, blue flowered cotton fabric.  It would have been very appropriate for a woman living on the prairie in the 1800‘s to wear while she was milking cows, except that it only came to eight inches above the knee.  But the hemline was not a problem, at least not for this class.  The teacher decided that I had short arms, and showed me how to shorten the pattern for sleeves before cutting them out.  Although I had never thought my arms were especially short I went along with it; after all, she was the expert.  When I got the sleeves sewn onto the bodice- Surprise!- they were too short.  It was no problem though; she just showed me how to make the cuffs longer.  So I had just learned how to solve, and then un-solve, a problem that didn’t actually exist.  This has turned out to be a useful lesson, both in sewing and in life.


I still love sewing, but now I make aprons, tote bags, curtains, pillow shams, and other home accessories, and especially- quilts.  Making quilts appeals to my love of history, design and craftsmanship.  It’s something I can work on by myself, but it can also be a very social activity.  In a few weeks I will be going with some friends to Quilting Around Chautauqua, where we will spend the weekend shopping for fabrics and being inspired by the beautiful quilts on display.  As we walk around Chautauqua Institution we will discuss what we like and dislike about the show quilts, paying particular attention to any bizarre color schemes or seams that don’t quite match.  Then we can show off our fabrics, books, patterns and other fun purchases while we admire those things the others have bought.  If that isn’t female bonding I don’t know what is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment